An Activity and Resource Guide Teaching about Self-Esteem, Friendship, Diversity, and Conflict Resolution For Grades Kindergarten and up.
The ALIKE AND DIFFERENT Activity and Resource Guide (4th printing, 2007) was developed as part of the Beyond Racism Initiative. The broad purpose of the Beyond Racism Initiative is to eradicate the barriers, ignorance, and stereotypes that divide us as people. The activities and resources in this Guide share a vision with children of a world where people are embraced for their similarities and appreciated for their differences. The Guide is for congregations, neighborhood organizations, and schools that are dedicated to this vision. Activities presented in the Guide are enhanced when children of diverse backgrounds participate together. They are designed to help children to:
- Appreciate their own uniqueness and affirm themselves and others.
- Feel proud of their own heritage, ethnicity and culture, and appreciate this in others.
- Talk about the important qualities of friendship and increase awareness of others.
- Practice social skills like collaboration, cooperation, and including rather than excluding.
- Learn about their common bonds with each other and talk about their differences.
- Talk about common problems that cause conflict and practice problem solving.
- Discover the names of heroines and heroes for peace and justice.
The lessons can also be used to meet a variety of needs and interests like these:
- Include in the curriculum of before and after school programs.
- Weekend workshops or retreats.
- Incorporate the activities with several family night dinners.
- Schedule a special series through the religious education program at a congregation.
- Integrate the books, songs and games into school classroom curriculum.
To order a copy of the ALIKE AND DIFFERENT call 414-276-9050, email us at office(AT)interfaithconference.org, or send a check made out to Interfaith Conference, 5409 W. Vliet St., Milwaukee, WI 53208.
$10 each plus postage.
Discounts for quantities: Contact us. 414-276-9050
These steps will help expedite your order(s):
Payment for books must be received before orders will ship.
Bulk orders can be picked up, by appointment (M-F).
Please call to order (414) 276-9050.